Wednesday, April 16, 2008

My Artist Statement

This show is a celebration. It is the celebration of ability and accomplishment. My desire is to show the individuality and uniqueness of each one of my friends. These pictures are representations of who each person is despite their disabilities. Each person’s story includes their disability, but it does not define who they are. My friends have taught me about strength and endurance. Many have overcome extreme adversity only to come out with smiles on their faces. None of my friends are perfect, anyone close to them will tell you that. Their imperfections are what make them unique. The families that have surrounded my friends have overcome just as many obstacles, if not more. They show me what love is and what it means to love unconditionally.
I have overcome my own adversity. Art has taught me about my own endurance. I have often wondered where art is going to take me. I don’t know what the future holds but I do know that my heart is to encourage those who need someone to believe in them. Art has taught me more about myself than I ever thought possible. I am continually learning to silence my inner critic. I could not be someone who could encourage and believe in someone else if I could not believe in myself.
My own family has shown me what love is. Without them, I would not be here. They have been my constant among the chaos of school and my life. My family has always believed in me and been a support for all of my decisions. I could never have accomplished what I have if it was not for their reassurance and encouragement.
This show is my heart. I have achieved something I never thought possible-to take pictures and show everyone my love for people. So this show is not only about people with disabilities overcoming obstacles-its about all of us achieving what we never thought could be attained.

No comments: